Welcome to WESTAF's 2018 Emerging Leaders of Color Program online application.
WESTAF (Western States Arts Federation) is a regional nonprofit arts service organization whose mission is to strengthen the financial, organizational, and policy infrastructure of the arts in the western United States. Through innovative programming, advocacy, research, technology, and grantmaking, WESTAF encourages the creative advancement and preservation of the arts regionally and through a national network of customers and alliances. In its work, WESTAF strives to reflect the values, insights, spirit, and knowledge of communities of color, indigenous peoples, and other marginalized ethnic communities in the West and ensure its programs and initiatives incorporate the diverse perspectives of the region.
In 2010, WESTAF established its Emerging Leaders of Color Professional Development Program, which promotes multicultural leadership and equity in the arts by:
- Building a cohort of cultural leaders of color in the western United States who are committed to the advancement of the arts.
- Engaging diverse, early-career leaders in coursework and activities designed to strengthen competencies and prepare participants for leadership positions in the field.
- Providing opportunities for promising arts professionals to establish networks that support their careers and the cultural interests of the communities they represent and serve.
- Deepening participants’ understanding of the arts in the United States and how public support sustains the vibrancy of the sector.
WESTAF is currently seeking participants for this all-expenses-paid, 7th annual convening to be held October 1-3, 2018 in Denver, Colorado. Candidates will meet the following criteria:
- With some exceptions, be under the age of 35
- Less than ten years of experience working in the arts
- Current resident of the 13-state WESTAF region (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawai'i, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington or Wyoming)
- Self-identify as a person of color
- Is an arts administrator or a significantly arts-interested community person such as a volunteer or a public official. (This program is not designed to serve individual artists)
- Have not had an opportunity to participate in high-quality professional development sessions
With the advice of members of WESTAF’s Multicultural Advisory Committee and program alumni, WESTAF will select 14 total participants: one participant from each state in the western region, except California, where two participants will be selected due to its large population. WESTAF covers the full cost of the program. Applications and accompanying endorsements must be received via this site by 11:59 PM (Midnight) Mountain Daylight Time, Monday, August 20, 2018. Applicants will be notified of decision in September 2018.
To begin an application, start by registering at YouJudgeIt.org/WESTAFELC. For more information, contact Chrissy Deal, Manager for Multicultural Initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303.629.1166.